February 12, 2018

FEATURED TESTIMONIAL - Exam Day Recap from a Successful DTC Review Participant

I received an email from one of our participants about his experience with the Mechanical PE Exam. He has generously allowed me to share his thoughts with you. I think he very eloquently sums up what it takes to be successful on this exam. I hope that his words will be an inspiration to anyone wanting to become a PE. With the right preparation and materials, you can be successful too! - Dr. Tom


“Good morning Dr. Tom,

I've received my results back for the exam and... I PASSED! I just wanted to thank you for all your help during my preparation. I'm extremely relieved that I don't have to take that test again. The Exam Day Companion, the PRN's, as well as your test taking tips from the videos on your website, were extremely helpful during the exam. Leaving the exam I felt like I did better than my first attempt. That time, if I came to a problem that I didn't know how to work, I would start looking for something, anything, that maybe I could use. After a few of these, panic would start to set in. This time, in the same situation I would put down "C" and move on... no big deal... don't sweat it... just like you say in your Exam Strategy videos.

In the morning section, I was through the exam the first time in about 2.5 hours, which gave me plenty of time to go back and look at the problems I breezed over. There were some questions/subjects on there that I wasn't expecting to see, so I chalked those up to "C" and moved on. At lunch, I felt I'd done well enough on the morning to at least have a shot as passing if the afternoon wasn't too horrible.

The afternoon section didn't pull any punches. The first five or six questions I had to skip but I kept cool and didn't panic. I was through the afternoon section in 3.25 hours, and during the final 45 minutes I was able to go back and work four of the problems I skipped right at the start.

I used mainly the Exam Day Companion and PRN's for the exam, although I did use the MERM, Shigley, and the FE reference manual at times. The way the Companion is set up is way more useful in the exam than the MERM. The MERM has a lot of great information, but filtering out exactly what you need can be time consuming. I used the MERM as basically a last ditch effort on problems that I wasn't sure about, trying to find anything helpful.

Thanks again for all your help. I enjoyed taking your class. It was set up in a way that wasn't grueling to get through. For me, having a plan every week and knowing what I needed to do each day was extremely beneficial since I'm not a planner. The lessons were clear and easy to follow and I liked the fact that you focused just on what we needed for the exam. Thanks again Dr. Tom!”


Taking the April 2018 Exam?
Start your Fast Track Review today with $25 off: fast$25B

Taking the October 2018 Exam?
Start your Extended Review today with $25 off: ext$25B

Dr. Tom's Classroom – Helping Engineers become Professional Engineers!
Targeted Civil and Mechanical PE Exam Reviews that work!