November 7, 2017

New Voids Found in the Great Pyramid - Engineering Feature or Hidden Chamber?

Anything associated with the pyramids has always been fascinating to me. When I was 5 or 6 years old, my father was in law school at Emory University in Atlanta, and many times he had to handle child care as my mom worked. When he had a class, he would often take me to the small museum on campus containing what to me at the time was a magical world of mummies and ancient Egyptian artifacts. I usually found myself the only visitor and the person in charge was pleased that I was interested in such things.

As it became clear engineering would be my career, to me the engineering associated with the design and building of the Great Pyramids was a constant curiosity. So, when a CBS News bite came across my cell phone the other day that a large void in the Great Pyramid had been discovered, the rest of the day was lost to finding out more. I found myself back in that small museum in Atlanta wondering what treasures await those who one day will explore this mysterious void. - Dr. Tom


Taking the April 2018 Exam?
Start your 20-Week Review today with $20 off: 20w$20B

Dr. Tom's Classroom – Helping Engineers become Professional Engineers!
Targeted Civil and Mechanical PE Exam Reviews that work!