December 17, 2018

Achieve the Extraordinary - Jason Savage’s Story

Becoming a licensed PE has opened doors for me, both personally and professionally, beyond what I could have ever imagined as a college student 15 years ago. Honestly, becoming a PE all started by being in the right place at the right time.

As a junior in college, I just happened to be in the Civil Engineering building one evening and noticed a line forming in the lobby. I asked what was going on and found out it was a line to sign up to take the FE exam. I had not strongly considered pursuing my PE license, but after some discussion among my closest friends, we all decided to sign up for the FE. We were planning to work in construction, most likely vertical construction or roadways, and saw PE as just a couple initials behind our name, but what the heck? I passed the FE on the first try, graduated college, and started working in vertical construction.

Even as a young EI working in construction, I had not totally grasped the value of PE licensure in construction. After about 6 months of working full time, I had run into several PEs on the project site and soon realized the value PE licensure offered. I worked in vertical construction for about a year before the economy took a downturn, and I then started my career as a construction administrator for an engineering firm, focusing on water and wastewater engineering and construction.

Being a licensed PE has allowed me to participate in all aspects of design and construction of projects, from 2” through 72” pipes, along with treatment plants and pump stations. I have a great balance of time in the office and time in the field, where I am able to use my experiences as a licensed PE to solve problems and focus on improving civil infrastructure. I’ve very glad I made that early decision that led me on the path the my PE license - Jason Savage, DTC Civil Construction Instructor

Dr. Tom's Classroom - Achieve the Extraordinary
Save $25 with discount code: achieve25B

Change Is Coming! You Should Take the PE Exam Now.