December 14, 2018

Engineering Toys - Our Favorites: The Classic Erector Set


When I ponder what toy influenced me the most to pursue an engineering career, the answer is easy: my Gilbert Erector Set. I don't remember when my father bought it for me, surely at Christmas, but I have had it ever since, though it has gone missing recently in some reorganization of the house. I had Model #10 1/2, the Amusement Park Edition. The most complicated project in my set was probably the parachute drop. It stood when completed about 3 feet tall, and had little figures of people and real silk parachutes. The people would be raised slowly to the top, then the mechanism would hit an empty space on the main gear and they would be released and float slowly to the floor.

It came with an extensive workbook of things to build, from simple to complex. It had wheels and axles to make a car or truck with articulated steering, all manner of gears, girders, assorted screws and nuts, and an electric motor to drive things.  My favorite projects involved cranes. I can't even imagine how many hours I spent building things, then taking them apart and putting the pieces back in its bright red metal case for the next time. I probably learned valuable organizational skills just doing that. It was much more than a toy, it planted the seeds of a very rewarding career.

You can still find vintage sets for sale, but for one in mint condition, be prepared to pay a pretty penny as an Antiques Road Show appraisal shows. The closest thing I could find to my set that is currently available is the Steel Works Ferris Wheel. Other “erector” sets seem to be focused on vehicles and robots, which I suppose is the way to the hearts and minds of today’s kids.

Funny how you come to be attached to something so long ago in your past. Ralphie in the movie "A Christmas Story" had his Red Ryder BB gun with the compass in the stock. I had my Erector Set.  At least I couldn't shoot my eye out!  - Dr. Tom

Dr. Tom's Classroom - Achieve the Extraordinary
Save $25 with discount code: achieve25B

Change Is Coming! You Should Take the PE Exam Now.